Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

iPad Pillow Tutorial

I made this a while ago, but it has been one of my most popular posts, so I thought today would be a good day to share it again.  It's a quick and easy project and used in our house on a daily basis. Both of my kids have the iPad 2.  It has turned out to be one of the best things we have ever bought them.  They literally use it everyday for so many different things.  My daughter uses hers each and every night often while laying in bed.  She is always trying to find a comfortable way to hold her iPad.  It got me thinking that it would be good if she had a something that she could have on her lap...sort of like a lap desk.  Here's a pillow I made just for her iPad :
Here's how I did it...
I found these mini fabric packages and ribbon at AC Moore.
Using a 12"x16" pillow form I already had, I measured to make an envelope pillow.

I didn't feel like taking out the iron and ironing board, so instead I plugged in my flat iron and ironed out the creases in the fabric.  It's a trick I often use.  It heats up quickly and really works.
I cut the peace sign fabric to 12 1/2" x 16 1/2" (which leaves a 1/4" seam allowance all around).  I laid the cut peace sign fabric over the pillow form.  Then using the iPad as my guide, 
I pinned ribbon to all four corners.
This will be what keeps the iPad in place on the pillow.  Then I sewed the ribbon to the length of the pin, making sure I left enough open space to fit the iPad under once sewed.
Then for added interest, I added a coordinating ribbon that I adhered using fabric glue.  I then cut the edges of the green ribbon on an angle (not shown in this photo).

I then cut two lengths of pink fabric - each 16 1/2" x 9".  Again using my flat iron, 
I ironed a hem on each length and used fabric glue to adhere it. 
I then pinned the fabric, right sides together and sewed around all four sides on my sewing machine.
I then placed my pillow form inside.
I then placed the iPad under each of the four blue ribbon corners.
The only thing left was for my daughter to enjoy her new iPad pillow.
Now I just have to find some fun fabrics to make one for my son too!!

I can't wait to hear what you think.  I always love and appreciate your comments.


-Judy
Pin It

2 comments:

Victoria's Vintage Designs said...

Love this, how creative!!

At The Picket Fence said...

Judy this is AWESOME!! You are seriously so clever my friend! :-)
Vanessa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...